This post is a continuation of the previous one, please refer to the earlier post for more information on “Being Hyderabadi” and the yummy biryani recipe.
Double ka Meetha is a bread pudding dessert where you fried bread slices soaked in hot milk with spices and saffron. It is popular dessert in Hyderabadi cuisine, served at weddings and festivities. The name, I too thought it was quirky, when I first heard it. But the milk bread is called “Double Roti” in the local language because it swells up to almost double its original size after baking 🙂
During our exchanges on a bread pudding recipe, Ken from The Garum Factory said that I need to take out my running shoes when I am thinking of my recipe and his recipe, a great one, check it our here. And he is quite right too.
But that’s okay, we surely have the privilege and luxury of indulging ourselves, once in a while. And then, out come the running shoes people!
Now to the recipe:
- 1/2 cup ghee/ butter
- 6-7 slices of bread
- 6-8 cardamoms
- 1 Tbsp pistachio
- 1tbsps cashewnuts
- Milk- 2 cups
- ¼ cup sugar (increase or decrease as per your taste)
- Saffron strands
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices
- Tear into pieces and fry them in ghee until golden brown.
- Blot the fried pieces onto a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottomed sauce pan, boil milk.
- Lower the heat. Add cardamom, saffron and sugar.
- Add the fried bread pieces to the milk and simmer until the bread pieces turn soft.
- Mix lightly.
- Serve out into bowls and sprinkle the crushed nuts.