– Uniek Swain
Offer me a strong cup of tea (or coffee for that matter), anytime in the day I never say no. I bank on my cuppa to start the day off with vigor, as a pick me up for busy afternoons or just to feel good 🙂
When you make Indian style chai, milk is imperative, I believe that is what makes tea a chai. Only time I ever have tea without milk is when I make Green Tea. The process is quite simple, I boil milk, water, tea leaves together. Add some grated ginger and sugar. Boil till required strength and there, I am done with my chai. Sometimes, I add crushed cardamom pods.
All that changed when I sampled a flavorful black tea at Teavana. It was heavenly and it was black!! Inspired by the taste, I made my own mix of spiced tea. I know that I am going to have more cups of black tea from now on.
- Loose tea leaves ( I used Darjeeling) 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon- 2-3 Tsp (not the powder, coarsely crushed bark).
- Ginger (grated and dried)- 3 tsp
- Cardamom- 8-9 pods crushed
- Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight jar.
Note: If you want more stronger tea flavor, feel free to increase 1/2 tsp- 3/4 or more.
- Boil a cup of water
- Add your tea spice mix.
- Steep till desired strength
- Strain into a cup
- Add sugar per taste. Enjoy.
- Add milk to the cup if you want Chai (Tea Latte).