Winning points for this soup- bright, refreshing, filling and healthy. I admit when I first heard of this soup, I was a little apprehensive about using orange juice. I must say, that was the best part of the soup.
Source: Anne Sheasby: Fat-free Vegetarian
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 sprig of cilantro with stems intact
- 1 lb carrots, sliced
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- Orange rind-grated
- Orange juice from 2 oranges
- 1/2 tsp of grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pan. Add finely chopped cilantro stem, carrots and stir well, coating the vegetables with the butter.
- Cover and cook for about 10 min, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the stock, orange juice and the rind. Add nutmeg powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for about 40 min, till tender.
- Cool and process the soup in a blender.
- Return to heat and add yogurt. Reheat gently, stirring.
- Ladle the soup into bowl and top off with a dollop of yogurt and garnish with cilantro.