The original recipe from Anne Sheasby’s cookbook “Fat-free Vegetarian” uses rose water for this Middle Eastern dessert. I substituted rose water for rose syrup (a slightly more concentrated and sweeter version). A refreshing twist to the routine peeling of oranges and certainly makes it more interesting.
- 3 large oranges
- 2 Tbsp Rose water/Syrup in my case
- 2 Tbsp of pistachio nuts- roughly chopped
- Slice the top and bottom off the oranges to expose the flesh. Using a serrated knife, slice down between the pith and flesh, around the fruit, to remove all the peel and the bitter pith. Slice into regular sized rounds. Save the juice you get while cutting the oranges.
- Once all the oranges are cut, arrange them in a serving dish. Mix the reserved juice with the syrup and drizzle over the cut oranges.
- Cover with a clear wrap and chill for about 30 min.
- Sprinkle the choppoed pistachio nuts before serving.
Note: You could get some more flavor by sprinkling cardamom powder along with the nuts.