The inspiration for this recipe? A half can olives lying in my refrigerator, a lone carrot and some fresh homegrown mint and cilantro 🙂 Also it does not hurt to say that I am on a healthy diet regimen “again” and looking more at soups and salads these past few days. So, here comes the Mediterranean inspired quinoa salad. It is super-easy to prepare and has the promise of being very tasty, healthy and filling.
- 1 cup- quinoa (you can see the directions for cooking quinoa here)
- 1 small tomato-chopped (even better are grape tomatoes- I ran out of them)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives-chopped
- 1 carrot- grated or sliced finely
- Handful of slivered almonds (substitute per your liking)
- Fresh chopped cilantro/coriander
- Handful of chopped mint leaves (optional)
- 1 large lemon
- Salt and fresh ground pepper- to taste
- Olive oil-1 Tbsp
- Cook quinoa till you see the white spiral around the seed. Fluff with a fork.
- Add chopped tomato, carrot, olives and nuts. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt and ground pepper.
- Add chopped herbs.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil. Gently toss to coat.
- Squeeze a lemon all over and toss again.
- Serve it as it is or cold (tastes best either ways)