When it comes to broccoli I procrastinate a lot. I give them a glance when they lie in my refrigerator and gladly pick up any other vegetable.
Not this time though, when I saw a bunch of very fresh broccoli heads in Whole Foods. I made up my mind to cook them for dinner. The big fix was, I got a little too carried away and ended buying a little too many of them. Given my tendency of procrastination when it comes to broccoli, I did not want to stash them away in the freezer. And then came the idea of a green “super food” dinner.
I made Broccoli Cheese soup which I blogged about earlier and oven-roasted the rest of the broccoli. The recipe here is adapted from The Amateur Gourmet. Trust me, when Adam says that this could be “The best broccoli of your life”, he was not kidding. Atleast for my life, it was 🙂
While in Adam’s post, he does not mind oven-roasting the broccoli without washing it, my conscience did not admit it. So, I washed them and thoroughly dried (all to preserve the crispiness).
- Arrange the broccoli on a cookie sheet. (4 pounds broken into large florets)
- Toss with 4 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 fresh ground pepper.
- Add 2-3 peeled and sliced garlic cloves.
- Roast in the oven 15-20 min or until the broccoli are crisp and tender. You can also see that the the tips of some of the florets are browned.
- I also added few potato wedges and put them along with the broccoli
- When done, remove it from the the oven.
- Zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the lemon juice over and 1 tbsp some more olive oil.
- Top it with 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Please see the variation below)
I gave my share of the broccoli a little Indian twist. I seasoned some home-made yogurt with mustard seeds and red chilli flakes and poured it over the prepared broccoli and potato. In this case, Parmesan was completely omitted.