I started the soup regimen basically as a means to reduce my postpartum weight, although a little reluctantly. It was difficult to cut down close to starving (that was how I saw it at least in the start) that too after months of “healthy” and “large” servings I was taking because of my first pregnancy.
Eventually, a very high BMI and a knee surgery has convinced me to be conscious of my meals and here I was, scouring cookbooks and blogs to get the recipes that will please my palate. Trust me, all you non-believers out there, soups are a great way to lose weight and stay healthy. i must have lost at least 20 lbs from two nights of soups every week.
Yes, even the following rich version of cheesy broccoli soup is and proved healthy, at least to me.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, finely chopped
- 6 oz. grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz. freshly, grated Parmesan cheese, the original recipe calls for very finely grated Parmesan, but the lazy me, did not bother.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add in garlic, dried thyme and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add in milk, broth and then the cream.
- Cook, until mixture begins to gently bubble, stirring frequently in between and then reduce heat to low.
- Add the broccoli pieces and cook until broccoli is done ( I added broccoli that was half steamed earlier). Cook for about 4-5 min till tender.
- Turn heat off, add in cheese and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.